Thursday, June 29, 2017

A New Harmony Discovery

      In New Harmony, Indiana I found an inscription of Father Laurence Freeman’s words: “A culture that does not teach prayer soon runs mad with desire.”  
      The Father’s implicit assertion is the conviction that most human desire is not genetically fixed. It is formed by prayerful words and images and practices. 
      Advertisers know this is true. They manipulate cultural images so as to create longings within us. The sociologist Raymond Williams once called this cultural messaging a kind of “cultural hegemony” where consumers are molded to want the things the powerful want to sell. 
     Madison Avenue knows what the literary critic Rene’ Gerard taught: we tend to desire things because we see other people desiring them.  Our subconscious strategy is to obtain what others want so we will feel valuable in their eyes. We saturate ourselves in this consumer practice, pretending the hole in our heart can be filled if we purchase things others want.     
      My basic point is that such desires and preferences are acquired tastes.   Since childhood my favorite color has been red—the color of the Santa suit in the Christmas books my mother read to me six months out of the year.  My Dad coached at three high schools in my youth.  All of them had red as their team colors, and we ritually rooted for the team in red every Friday night. 
      Memorable rituals like this develop psychic associations which in turn form desire.  Once formed, these desires resist “simple changes of will.”  I might wish to change my favorite color, but I’m still going to like red unless I spend a long time sunburned, staring at red in the desert heat.  I have no reason to engage in such a practice, but it’s apt to make me a lover of damp greens and blues.   
      Desire can be changed.  Life-long lovers of Cheetos may discover with practice they can acquire a taste for green beans.  Habitually angry people may learn to love mercy.

     Achieving this new harmony between what we need and what we crave takes practice--the practice of prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment