Thursday, April 11, 2019

Rumors of Another World: The Hint in Our Hearts

     I promise you that she has been suffering--tethered to oxygen tanks for over six years.   Yet, last week I received the news that my friend, Alice, has been miraculously healed of her terminal lung disease.
      Hold on, reader.  I know what you’re thinking.  I’ve got another friend who suffers from this same disease.  Despite a lung transplant he and his family continue gasping for air.  There’s no rhyme or reason why something so wondrous has happened in Alice’s case and not in his.
     When I taught High School in Houston I was asked to lead prayer for a Muslim faculty member at a 7:00 AM faculty meeting.  His newborn baby lay dying in neo-natal intensive care when I invoked a blessing on his child.  The next morning, I was informed that the baby had made a dramatic recovery around 7:00 AM the previous day.
       But hold on, reader.  I’ve also held the still-born baby of a first-time Mother who was so distraught over her loss that she later could not even remember that I was with her at the hospital. And for the life of me, I can’t figure any rhyme or reason as to why these two innocent children experienced such vastly different outcomes.   It’s just plain maddening.
       But this enigma doesn’t change the fact that unexplained healings happen.  My friend Alice couldn’t believe it herself.  She questioned her pulmonologist after he gave her the good news:
      “Was I misdiagnosed?” she asked.  The doctor said “no.”  He showed her the results of the biopsy and put up the CT scans from six years ago.
     “My latest CT scan shows that 98% of the scarring is gone,” Alice celebrates.

       That’s why 98% of the world’s population believes in God.  The rumor is too strong for most to ignore.  Stronger still is the hint in our hearts—the one that knows still-born babies is a miscarriage of justice. It’s not just that we’d rather things be different.  It’s our innate sense that this is monstrously wrong.  Where, I wonder, do you think we get that idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment